Private Early Childhood Centres and Companies

Share Me

Private early childhood centres are as the name suggests – privately owned. Owners can be individual people such as business entrepreneurs, accountants, lawyers, as well as teachers with resources to open their own centre. Ownership may be placed under a family trust, a publicly listed company, or a private limited liability company.

An emerging trend is for fund management companies to get involved in the purchase of early childhood centre land and buildings (and even businesses). Having funds readily provided by fund management companies has supported operators to greatly expand the number of centres they operate. Parents can expect fees to be higher and teachers to have minimum salaries and working conditions since operators must make enough money out of each centre to pay interest and fees annually to the fund management company for its investors benefit, on top of the money they withdraw from each centre to give themself a financial return.

private commercial centre

Private and commercial early childhood centres may be open longer hours in the day and may not close for statutory holidays and school term breaks. The reason is to support full-time working parents and a second reason may be to maximise revenue from government funding and parent fees by being open even when parents do not need to use the service.

All private early childhood centres must comply with the early childhood regulations and licensing criteria.

Some centres offer extra services such as hot meals on site.

In general, private early childhood centres are not set-up to support parents to stay with their child and observe when they wish and do not support parents to have input into centre management and financial decisions.

You may also be interested in:

A copy of the My ECE Parents’ Checklist for Choosing a Quality Early Childhood Education and Care Service

Community-based early childhood centres

Shared childcare arrangements with another family

Taking your child to work

Au pairs

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Media Coverage

In the News

Stories and Video from My ECE and the ECE Parents Council This page provides links to news stories, press releases, and media coverage from the

Read More »
Kohanga Reo for children, family and whanau
Options Available to Parents for Childcare

Te Kōhanga Reo

There are over 460 Kōhanga Reo throughout Aotearoa so chances are you will find one in your area. You will find the welcome mat is

Read More »
caring for child, crying, leaving child, self-soothing
Learning and Social-Emotional Issues

Leaving Children to Cry

Self-soothing when a person chooses to be alone and do this is one thing – but leaving children to cry when care should be provided

Read More »
myECE white logo blue back

Join the Parents Council

Are you are parent, grandparent, or caregiver of a child under 6 years?    

Join the ECE Parents Council.   You will receive:

  • A monthly newsletter (free)
  • Survey invitations and notifications of important changes in ECE

We promise not to spam you with rubbish, just useful information.