Car, Bus or Other Motor Vehicle Travel

Share Me

When taking children on excursions or errands, know the rules for travel by motor vehicle – adult:child ratios, car seats, seatbelts, parent permission.

Travel in motor vehicles include cars, vans, buses, trucks, and motorbikes. The early childhood regulatory requirements do not mention other forms of travel such as by boat, plane, train, or on scooters or bikes (electric or pedal/ push).   

Car seats / seat belts

If children travel in a motor vehicle while in the care of the service, children must be restrained as required by land transport legislation. The legal requirements according to land transport legislation for restraining children in a vehicle include:

  • Infant restraint: birth to at least one year of age (up to13kg)
  • Convertible (baby to child) restraint: birth to approximately four years of age (up to 18kgs)
  • Front-facing child restraint: about one year to approximately four years of age (9 – 18kg)
  • Booster seat: from approximately four years of age (18 – 36kg)

A child does not have to be in a restraint if travelling in a passenger service vehicle such as a bus or taxi when no appropriate child restraint is available. 

Number of adults to children

At centres, adult-child ratios must be maintained when travelling in a motor vehicle (e.g., if 6 children under two years there must be 2 adults). 

Parent permission 

Written approval for travel must be obtained from the child’s parent before each journey/ travel commences, unless the parent is travelling with their child. Parents may however be asked when they enrol to give their written approval for ‘all travel by vehicle’ if the service is providing transport regularly for child drop-offs and pick-ups or if a home-based service where the educator regularly takes children out in a vehicle. 

Failing to meet minimum standards

The Ministry of Education needs to know:

  • If you are concerned children’s needs are not being met.
  • If you are concerned a service is not meeting a minimum legal requirement.

READ MORE: How to make a complaint and your options.

CAUTION: This page and the information here is provided as part of the My ECE Guide to Regulations and Licensing Criteria for Early Childhood Education Services (The Guide).  The Guide does not purport to be a full and accurate interpretation of all statutory provisions relating to early childhood education services. While best efforts have been used in preparing this guide, no representations or warranties of any kind are made and My ECE assumes no liabilities of any kind with respect to the accuracy or completeness of the content. Please note that the Government and Ministry of Education may change, update, or alter any of the requirements at any time.  Please help to keep the information on this page up to date by letting us know of changes that need to be made.
Thank you!  Kia pai te rā

Car, Bus or Other Motor Vehicle Travel. Published in the My ECE Guide to Regulations and Licensing Criteria for Early Childhood Education Services, prepared by Dr Sarah Alexander and Warwick Marshall.

Last reviewed: 20 November 2022


Media Coverage

In the News

Stories and Video from My ECE and the ECE Parents Council This page provides links to news stories, press releases, and media coverage from the

Read More »
Kohanga Reo for children, family and whanau
Options Available to Parents for Childcare

Te Kōhanga Reo

There are over 460 Kōhanga Reo throughout Aotearoa so chances are you will find one in your area. You will find the welcome mat is

Read More »
caring for child, crying, leaving child, self-soothing
Learning and Social-Emotional Issues

Leaving Children to Cry

Self-soothing when a person chooses to be alone and do this is one thing – but leaving children to cry when care should be provided

Read More »
myECE white logo blue back

Join the Parents Council

Are you are parent, grandparent, or caregiver of a child under 6 years?    

Join the ECE Parents Council.   You will receive:

  • A monthly newsletter (free)
  • Survey invitations and notifications of important changes in ECE

We promise not to spam you with rubbish, just useful information.