Flexible Childcare Assistance – For informal care arrangements to pay a babysitter, friend, neighbour …

Share Me

Flexible childcare assistance

There is no household income or family asset limit for flexible childcare assistance. This is available to parents who are in employment or engaged in employment-related study or training. It can help with the costs of informal childcare e.g. a babysitter.

If you get Flexible Childcare Assistance, you can still apply the Childcare subsidy to help with childcare/ECE fees during the times you’re able to access a licensed ECE service such as a kindergarten, preschool, home-based network, or kohanga reo.

To claim, you need to be:

  • the principal caregiver of the child
  • a NZ citizen or permanent resident
  • likely to need a benefit for a long-term if you don’t get this benefit to allow you back into work or for work-related training or study.

You may not be able to get this payment if the child’s other parent or caregiver can take care of them.

Subsidy amount from 1 April 2024

Number of childrenWeekly rate
Get further information on subsidies and childcare fees on the My ECE parents’ website www.myece.org.nz

  • $64.02 for one child
  • $32.01 for each additional child
  • $192.06 a week maximum (5 or more children).

You can get the payment for up to 52 weeks.

How to apply for Flexible Childcare Assistance

Call WINZ on 0800 559 009 to book an appointment. It may be possible to have an appointment over the phone but mostly WINZ do want to meet you face-to-face if possible. The information WINZ will need is listed its our pdf form.

Flexible Childcare Assistance application form.pdf

Documents you will be asked to provide include:

  • employment details e.g. name of the company, your position, and start date
  • employment-related training details, or
  • employment-related education details.

You may also be asked to verify your identity – that you are who you say you are.

Check out if you are entitled to any of these other subsidies or tax rebates

Childcare subsidy if your child is enrolled at a licensed ECE service or home-based network

20 Hours ECE – children 3 years and older

FamilyBoost – tax rebate for low- and middle-income families

2 Responses

  1. Wanted too look after my granddaughter full time and one friend’s child can I get the ece payments like the child care provider does as I would have stop working to do this and if yes how do I apply both 4 years old

    1. to get funding for caring for children like a childcare provider you would need to apply to the ministry of education for a licence as a home-based provider of care https://www.education.govt.nz/early-childhood/running-a-service/starting-a-service/starting-a-home-based-ece-service/applying-for-a-licence/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Kohanga Reo for children, family and whanau
Options Available to Parents for Childcare

Te Kōhanga Reo

There are over 460 Kōhanga Reo throughout Aotearoa so chances are you will find one in your area. You will find the welcome mat is

Read More »
caring for child, crying, leaving child, self-soothing
Learning and Social-Emotional Issues

Leaving Children to Cry

Self-soothing when a person chooses to be alone and do this is one thing – but leaving children to cry when care should be provided

Read More »
myECE white logo blue back

Join the Parents Council

Are you are parent, grandparent, or caregiver of a child under 6 years?    

Join the ECE Parents Council.   You will receive:

  • A monthly newsletter (free)
  • Survey invitations and notifications of important changes in ECE

We promise not to spam you with rubbish, just useful information.