Changing 20 Hours to another ECE Service Temporarily

Share Me

If wanting to use another centre or home-based service here’s what you need to know about changing 20 Hours so you can get this at a second service.

1. Is your child’s ECE service closed for a holiday or term break when you are needing childcare?

It is no problem to temporarily receive 20 hours of childcare at a second service as long as your usual service is not claiming the 20 hours funding which it legally must not do when its closed.

Just ask to record on the enrolment form of the service you wish to transfer the hours to, how many hours and days your child will be at the ECE service and the hours that your child will be attending that will be covered by 20 Hours ECE funding (i.e., that you are not to be charged for).

2. Are you moving to a new city for a while but expect to return home sometime?  

Let your current service know so that it stops claiming funding for your child during the time you are away.  

Record on the enrolment form of the new service, the hours and days that your child will be attending that will be covered by 20 Hours ECE funding. 

Before you move back home give your service warning and check that a place is available.  Many services have vacancies and children leaving and coming so it should not be a problem. But have a backup plan just in case your service has a full roll and cannot accept your child immediately.

20 Hours Free ECE

Learn more about 20 Hours ECE and Childcare Fees

20-Hours ECE and Optional Charges – the Basic Rules Explained

20-Hours ECE Can Still Cost a Lot and Be Expensive for Parents

Can a Service Charge Fees When It’s Closed for a Public Holiday and Other Holidays?

Leave a Reply

No questions please – comments only. Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


child complaint form
Complaint Forms & Information

Child Complaint Form

Support your child to make a complaint, using this child complaint form, and have their needs and wishes heard. This form is to be used

Read More »
childcare subsidy baby children WINZ
Fees, Costs & Childcare Subsidies

Childcare Subsidy through WINZ

The WINZ Childcare subsidy is the only government financial assistance available to help New Zealand families cover the cost of childcare.  ECE service operators and owners

Read More »
teacher reading book to a group of children
Children's Books and Early Reading

Early Reading Development

How can you as a parent or caregiver best support your child’s early reading development? Here are some ideas. Infants and toddlers Preschool Age 3

Read More »
Parents' Choice Awards
Parents' Choice Award

The Parents’ Choice Awards

Parents’ Choice Awards – “Celebrating the best ECE services for young children and their families” What is the Award and Eligibility This is an annual

Read More »
myECE white logo blue back

Join the Parents Council

Are you are parent, grandparent, or caregiver of a child under 6 years?    

Join the ECE Parents Council.   You will receive:

  • A monthly newsletter (free)
  • Survey invitations and notifications of important changes in ECE

We promise not to spam you with rubbish, just useful information.