1. Equipment, premises and facilities are checked on every day of operation for hazards to children.
2. Accident/incident records are analysed to identify hazards and appropriate action is taken.
3. Hazards to the safety of children are eliminated, isolated or minimised. (Note that this could be defined as including child abuse).
4. The centre must have a documented risk management system.
5. The documented risk management system considers hazards including but not limited to:
- Cleaning agents, medicines, poisons and other hazardous materials.
- Electrical sockets and appliances (particularly heaters).
- Hazards in kitchen and laundry facilities.
- Vandalism, dangerous objects and foreign materials, e.g. broken glass, animal droppings.
- Equipment faults.
- Poisonous plants.
- The condition and placement of learning, play and other equipment.
- Windows and other areas of glass.
- Bodies of water.